Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fancy Writing


Get your writers to use fancy talk using "Fancy Nancy," by Jane O'Connor

Book Synopsis (taken from inside sleeve)
Meet Nancy, who believes that more is ALWAYS better when it comes to being fancy. From the top of her tiara down to her sparkly studded shoes, Nancy is determined to teach her family a thing or two about being fancy.

How Nancy transforms her parents and little sister for one enchanted evening makes for a story that is funny and warm -- with or without the frills.

Pre-Reading Activity - make a list of fancy words and come up with the synonyms for them.

Post Reading Activity - Encourage students to use "fancy" words in their writing. Post on a display with fancy decorations. Have a "fancy" dress up day and encourage students to wear fancy clothing and use fancy words when talking.

1 comment:

Twice Blessed China Mom said...

I'm excited about your blog! What a great idea! I'm an ESL teacher in the s/w suburbs of Chicago. I'll be checking in for ideas!